Powered By Blogger

Friday 11 October 2013

Today was a Professional Development Day

Today many of our schools demonstrated the power of Twitter as a public relations tool. Parents have often wondered just what teachers do on those mysterious PD days but through the use of Twitter they will wonder no more. Central Peel has been tweeting all day about their mental health focus this morning and their literacy focus in the afternoon. Gordon Graydon is doing a session on bullying with the Red Cross. Brampton Centennial P.S. has a student teaching some staff about a new tech program and Rick Hansen had a wonderful restorative practices workshop with the Board's climate team. All of this I know because of Twitter and parents will know too.

Many folks ask me why I go on Twitter and how I find the time. Twitter is the best 20 to 30 minutes of PD that I do for myself each day. I don't go online for 30 minutes straight but rather off and on throughout the day. I find links, ideas and leadership advice that all help to expand my practice and challenge my thinking. This morning I Tweeted out to see if any of my followers could suggest some good links that would help my Superintendency with some creative ways to teach math to our students. Within 30 minutes I had several replies.

So to the folks in my Superintendency who are still not on Twitter, let me ask you why? Through your connections and contacts you will get ideas and suggestions that will inspire you to try new things. When you have run out of ways to solve an instructional issue, someone on Twitter will Tweet out an idea that you never would have come up with on your own. It is time to get connected, to enter the new world of professional development and make joining Twitter part of your 30 day challenge.

And by the way..........check out this hashtag, #mathchat, you will come across all kinds of innovative ways to teach math supported by technology.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope you have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment